Wednesday, November 26, 2014

On Ferguson



How much more is there to say? And what can I, as a white Jew, add?
Very little. Very little.
I could mention that roughly 0.003% of grand juries fail to return an indictment...but that's been said.
I could decry Special Prosecutor McCulloch for scuttling a procedure slanted entirely in his favor due to personal interest in the case, for his tone-deaf, milquetoast statements blaming people who talk about things online. But that's also been said.
I could rail about the utter arrogance of white people in murdering blacks with impunity, then throwing them in jail for being angry about it. But that's been said too.
I just...I don't know. I don't.
Bottom line is, in a procedure so heavily slanted toward the prosecution, we cannot blame anyone but the prosecution for failing to charge Darren Wilson for his crimes.
But we can blame ourselves. Because we're all part of this fucked-up system. We're letting it happen. By sitting down, covering our ears, we're letting it happen.
A grand jury hearing is not a trial. A trial is meant  to find out whether or not the law was broken; a grand jury hearing is to see if we even want to find out. By failing to even charge Darren Wilson, we're shouting loud and clear that we don't want to know.
We're not saying that Darren Wilson didn't murder Mike Brown. We're saying we don't care if he did.
"I don't care" are the three most terrifying words I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment