Wednesday, April 30, 2014

King County voters gave a "no" to my employment

Last week, King County voters decided I should lose my job.

Allow me to explain. King County Metro, our local public transit authority, ran into a budget shortfall which it concluded could only be made up by additional revenue or service cuts. Because any and all new taxes here must go to a popular vote thanks to some initiative shenanigans in the late '90s, this required them to put it to a vote: Proposition 1, which would require people to pay an extra $60 for car tabs in order to fund transit and road maintenance.


I work at a local Brooks Brothers store in Auburn, WA. I can't afford a car, so I rely on Route 181 to get to and from work...at least until September, when most of the 181 goes out of service thanks to the rejection of Prop. 1, and I'll no longer be able to keep my job.

But I shouldn't really complain. We live in a democracy, governed by the will of the people, and the people have made clear their belief that jobs should only go to those with vehicles. Or at least, that they're happy to fudge on their reported values if it means a an extra sixty bucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment